If you are using vagrant on Windows 7+, it is likely that you may encounter the below errors after running
vagrant up command.
Bringing machine 'default' up with 'virtualbox' provider...
There was an error while executing `VBoxManage`, a CLI used by Vagrant
for controlling VirtualBox. The command and stderr is shown below.
Command: ["list", "hostonlyifs"]
Stderr: VBoxManage.exe: error: Failed to create the VirtualBox object!
VBoxManage.exe: error: Code CO_E_SERVER_EXEC_FAILURE (0x80080005) - Server execution failed (extended info not available)
VBoxManage.exe: error: Most likely, the VirtualBox COM server is not running or failed to start.
Follow the steps below to fix the above issue:
Resetting DCOM Permissions on VirtualBox Application
– Open Start | Administrative Tools | Computers Services | Computers | My Computer | DCOM Config
– Search for VirtualBox Application
– Right-Click and select Properties
– Select Security
– Change Launch and Activation Permissions radio button to Customize and Apply
– Open command prompt as an administrator, cd to the vagrant instance and type “vagrant up”
– The vagrant instance would start successfully without any errors